Day eleven of TF18
Running from 9th - 22nd July, Tempting Failure 2018 brings an international programme of noise and performance art to Croydon, South London.
Find out more at temptingfailure.com/TF18
Attend this event with a TF18 Day twelve ticket or a TF18 Festival pass. Day tickets will be available on the door for £15.
DARC - Transformance
Matthews Yard: Gallery
Transformance is a radical new methodology in how live performance can be experienced, transformed and translated, employing a range of disciplines in an act of imaginative exchange between artist, witness/documenter, and a wider audience. This project aims to foster dynamic collaboration between diverse practices and to engage artists, spectators and researchers with the scope and innovation of performance documentation. At Tempting Failure, the collective will present an installation of the multifaceted documentation created during their Transformance sessions with the participating artists.
This exhibition is FREE
River Lin - Bone Setting Service
Matthews Yard: Lounge
Bone-Setting Service is a one-on-one encounter looking at the relationship between physical and emotional pain. How emotional pain and heart-breaking experiences connect with one’s own body motivates this performance. A visitor at a time is invited to share a personal story about brokenness and receive a massage to re-set the fractured.
This one-to-one performance lasts 10 minutes. You will be given opportunity to book a time after buying your day ticket.
Sarah Davis - Push
Push an ever-growing work exploring the artist’s experience of receiving chemotherapy and having a stemcell transplant for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. The work has been evolving since June 2017.
Over an 18-hour period artist Sarah Davis will be working in situ documenting and archiving the medical ephemera she has collected over the past year and a half and transforming these objects into plaster artefacts.
The work functions as a landscape of trauma, it sits on the floor so the audience views it from above, tracing the narrative suggested by each pill packet. It is a cathartic work that addresses themes of survival, unfairness and the burden of ill health.
This performance is FREE to attend
James Johnson - My Brother’s Keeper
‘My Brother(’)s Keeper’ is an Installation coupled together with live art exploring how the Black male body navigates in and around the continual surveillances of masculinity and body to body contact of the male body in contemporary society.
Thomas & Devaki Music - Kirtan: Sound Meditation
1pm, 2.30pm, 4pm
Matthews Yard: Gallery
Kirtan or Sound Meditation is an ancient practice from India which strives to bring peace and release to participants through the exploration of Sanskrit chants. Using various instruments including the Indian harmonium & mridangam, Kirtan facilitators Thomas & Devaki, will guide participants through various melodic repetitions with the aim to find inner peace and a sense of togetherness.
Hollie Miller w/ Craig Scott - animus
Matthews Yard: Theatre
animus cultivates a chaotic interdependency between human and non-human: merging organic and in-organic with an affective intensity of toxicity and intimacy. In a gesture of self affection and awareness of sensation to explore new possibilities of sensory perception and body movement as dynamic and affective language. Galvanizing the materials own autonomy and subjectivity to suggest a communal body or second skin and show how affect can reshape zones of possibility for bio-political transformation.
Lena Chen - Nurture
Matthews Yard: Gallery
Nurture presents motherhood as a durational performance and as an act of love and labor. In the role of the archetypal Mother, the artist offers her empathy and her breasts to the audience in an intimate, one-on-one interaction.
Breasts are maternal and erotic symbols, representing the conflicting roles of Madonna and Whore. In either role, the female body is a body that does not belong entirely to itself. By publicly performing the private act of breastfeeding, Nurture makes visible unacknowledged maternal labor, confronts social taboos concerning the female body, and exposes the competing demands fracturing women’s identities.
You will be given opportunity to book a time to experience this one-to-one performance after buying your day ticket.
Kajoli Ilojak - Matriarchal Tarantula
Kajoli Ilojak takes as her inspiration her lived experiences as a woman in Bangladesh under the fake dysfunctional power offered by the patriarchal community to women in order to oppress other women. Through stories from her childhood and adult life in Bangladesh, she brings issues of women’s freedom of speech and control over their bodies into a visually grasping performance that only speaks through the body; the body of a woman that has been through much turmoil and is in search of a healing ritual.
Francesca Fini - SKIN/TONES
I’m naked in front of two neon lights, giving my back to the audience, so that only the outline of my body is visible. I pass a digital microscope all over my skin, scanning the different textures (hair, lips, tongue and so forth).
The skin is a landscape that tells many different stories, showing details that look like maps of unknown planets. An infinite variety of colors, textures and shapes, patterns and imperfections - sometimes beautifully frightening - are transformed into digital information producing live generative sounds and visuals, in the synergy of the random movement of my hand.
Dave Phillips - field recordings & video action
1. field recordings: this set uses raw and untreated recordings made in national parks, rainforests, nature reserves and other natural habitats in thailand, vietnam, indonesia, china, ecuador and switzerland, of insects, amphibians, mammals, weather and other natural, non-human phenomena. individual tracks are layered and mixed into a composition. no effects, loops or any other manipulations of the sound sources are applied.
2. video action: an actionistic and physical performance accompanied by visuals. loops and samples of voice and objects are played live over prepared sonic structures and follow a compositional narrative. the visuals communicate matters dear to my heart, metaphysical questions, thoughts, criticisms etc. on personal, social/societal and global level.
|Day eleven - ADV ticket||12:00 - 23:00||£12.00|
Various locations, Matthews Yard & The Braithwaite Hall, Matthews Yard, Croydon, CR0 1FF
Getting thereGett £15 off for first riders with code DMNGETT
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 16 years of age. Identification may be required.